For the past 3 years (2009, 2010 and 2011) LiveFree! participated in the statewide Alcohol Environmental Scan (AES) project. LiveFree! Youth Clubs, volunteers and staff participated in the project, and areas in St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Pinellas Park and Largo have been scanned.
Alcohol Signage Inside and Outside of Establishments
|Total Advertisements Inside the Store||# and % Alcohol Related Ads Inside the Store||Total Advertisements Outside the Store||# and % Alcohol Related Ads Outside the Store|
|Not asked||664||Not asked||248|
|2,004||1,129 or 56.3%||708||375 or 53.0%|
|2,938||1,159 or 39.4%||1,118||593 or 53.0%|
Age Control Signs
|Year (# Stores)||Inside the Store||Outside the Store|
|2009 (87 stores)||45 or 51.7%||6 or 7.0%|
|2010 (112 stores)||52 or 46.4%||18 or 16.0%|
|2011 (109 stores)||41 or 37.6%||24 or 22.0%|
2011 Key Findings/Results
- 31 or 28.4% of the establishments surveyed had freestanding beer/liquor displays.
- 49 or 44.9% of the establishments had banners with alcohol advertisements.
- 21 or 14.7% of the establishments had displays for alcohol next to beach or picnic items.
- 41 or 37.6% of the establishments had alcohol control signs for age of sale restrictions inside.
- 24 or 22.0% of the establishments had alcohol control signs for age of sale restrictions outside.
- 1 or 0.9% of the establishments had signs detailing the negative health effects of alcohol consumption.
- 18 or 16.5% of the establishments had alcohol-related promotional gear available.
- 20 or 18.3% of the establishments had merchandise next to alcoholic beverages that encourage drinking games (i.e., Deck of cards, Ping-Pong balls, etc.).
- 41 or 37.6% of the establishments had children and/or adolescents present.
- 38 or 34.9% of the establishments had liquor-filled/alcohol-flavored candies available.
- 2 or 1.8% of the establishments had an ID scanning machine.
- 56 or 51.4%% of the establishments had signs/posters for daily/weekly specials.
SOURCE: LiveFree! Alcohol Environmental Scan Results